Friday, March 7, 2008

Acts 24, 17-21 I am on trial for the resurrection

(Acts 24, 17-21) I am on trial for the resurrection
[17] After many years, I came to bring alms for my nation and offerings. [18] While I was so engaged, they found me, after my purification, in the temple without a crowd or disturbance. [19] But some Jews from the province of Asia, who should be here before you to make whatever accusation they might have against me – [20] or let these men themselves state what crime they discovered when I stood before the Sanhedrin, [21] unless it was my one outcry as I stood among them, that 'I am on trial before you today for the resurrection of the dead.'"
(CCC 2506) The Christian is not to "be ashamed of testifying to our Lord" (2 Tim 1:8) in deed and word. Martyrdom is the supreme witness given to the truth of the faith. (CCC 2507) Respect for the reputation and honor of persons forbids all detraction and calumny in word or attitude. (CCC 2510) The golden rule helps one discern, in concrete situations, whether or not it would be appropriate to reveal the truth to someone who asks for it. (CCC1015) "The flesh is the hinge of salvation" (Tertullian, De res. 8, 2: PL 2, 852). We believe in God who is creator of the flesh; we believe in the Word made flesh in order to redeem the flesh; we believe in the resurrection of the flesh, the fulfillment of both the creation and the redemption of the flesh. (CCC 1016) By death the soul is separated from the body, but in the resurrection God will give incorruptible life to our body, transformed by reunion with our soul. Just as Christ is risen and lives for ever, so all of us will rise at the last day. (CCC 1017) "We believe in the true resurrection of this flesh that we now possess" (Council of Lyons II: DS 854). We sow a corruptible body in the tomb, but he raises up an incorruptible body, a "spiritual body" (cf. 1 Cor 15:42-44).

No comments: