Saturday, March 8, 2008

Acts 25, 24-27 I have nothing to write about him

(Acts 25, 24-27) I have nothing to write about him
[24] And Festus said, "King Agrippa and all you here present with us, look at this man about whom the whole Jewish populace petitioned me here and in Jerusalem, clamoring that he should live no longer. [25] I found, however, that he had done nothing deserving death, and so when he appealed to the Emperor, I decided to send him. [26] But I have nothing definite to write about him to our sovereign; therefore I have brought him before all of you, and particularly before you, King Agrippa, so that I may have something to write as a result of this investigation. [27] For it seems senseless to me to send up a prisoner without indicating the charges against him."
(CCC 2235) Those who exercise authority should do so as a service. "Whoever would be great among you must be your servant" (Mt 20:26). The exercise of authority is measured morally in terms of its divine origin, its reasonable nature and its specific object. No one can command or establish what is contrary to the dignity of persons and the natural law. (CCC 2238) Those subject to authority should regard those in authority as representatives of God, who has made them stewards of his gifts: (Cf. Rom 13:1-2) "Be subject for the Lord's sake to every human institution.... Live as free men, yet without using your freedom as a pretext for evil; but live as servants of God" (1 Pet 2:13, 16). Their loyal collaboration includes the right, and at times the duty, to voice their just criticisms of that which seems harmful to the dignity of persons and to the good of the community.

No comments: