Monday, May 5, 2008

1Cor 8, 13 I may not cause my brother to sin

(1Cor 8, 13) I may not cause my brother to sin
[13] Therefore, if food causes my brother to sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I may not cause my brother to sin.
(CCC 2285) Scandal takes on a particular gravity by reason of the authority of those who cause it or the weakness of those who are scandalized. It prompted our Lord to utter this curse: "Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened round his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea" (Mt 18:6; Cf. 1 Cor 8:10-13). Scandal is grave when given by those who by nature or office are obliged to teach and educate others. Jesus reproaches the scribes and Pharisees on this account: he likens them to wolves in sheep's clothing (Cf. Mt 7:15). (CCC 1789) Some rules apply in every case: - One may never do evil so that good may result from it; - the Golden Rule: "Whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them" (Mt 7:12; cf. Lk 6:31; Tob 4:15) - charity always proceeds by way of respect for one's neighbor and his conscience: "Thus sinning against your brethren and wounding their conscience… you sin against Christ" (1 Cor 8:12). Therefore "it is right not to… do anything that makes your brother stumble" (Rom 14:21).

No comments: