Saturday, June 14, 2008

2Cor 12, 14-16 If I love you more, am I to be loved less?

(2Cor 12, 14-16) If I love you more, am I to be loved less?
[14] Now I am ready to come to you this third time. And I will not be a burden, for I want not what is yours, but you. Children ought not to save for their parents, but parents for their children. [15] I will most gladly spend and be utterly spent for your sakes. If I love you more, am I to be loved less? [16] But granted that I myself did not burden you, yet I was crafty and got the better of you by deceit.
(CCC 2228) Parents' respect and affection are expressed by the care and attention they devote to bringing up their young children and providing for their physical and spiritual needs. As the children grow up, the same respect and devotion lead parents to educate them in the right use of their reason and freedom. (CCC 2219) Filial respect promotes harmony in all of family life; it also concerns relationships between brothers and sisters. Respect toward parents fills the home with light and warmth. "Grandchildren are the crown of the aged" (Prov 17:6). "With all humility and meekness, with patience, [support] one another in charity" (Eph 4:2). (CCC 2227) Children in turn contribute to the growth in holiness of their parents (Cf. GS 48 § 4). Each and everyone should be generous and tireless in forgiving one another for offenses, quarrels, injustices, and neglect. Mutual affection suggests this. The charity of Christ demands it (Cf. Mt 18:21-22; Lk 17:4).

No comments: