Friday, September 11, 2009

Rev 11, 11-13 They went up to heaven in a cloud

(Rev 11, 11-13) They went up to heaven in a cloud

[11] But after the three and a half days, a breath of life from God entered them. When they stood on their feet, great fear fell on those who saw them. [12] Then they heard a loud voice from heaven say to them, "Come up here." So they went up to heaven in a cloud as their enemies looked on. [13] At that moment there was a great earthquake, and a tenth of the city fell in ruins. Seven thousand people were killed during the earthquake; the rest were terrified and gave glory to the God of heaven.

(CCC 2474) The Church has painstakingly collected the records of those who persevered to the end in witnessing to their faith. These are the acts of the Martyrs. They form the archives of truth written in letters of blood: “Neither the pleasures of the world nor the kingdoms of this age will be of any use to me. It is better for me to die [in order to unite myself] to Christ Jesus than to reign over the ends of the earth. I seek him who died for us; I desire him who rose for us. My birth is approaching… (St. Ignatius of Antioch, Ad Rom. 6, 1-2 SCh 10, 114). “I bless you for having judged me worthy from this day and this hour to be counted among your martyrs.... You have kept your promise, God of faithfulness and truth. For this reason and for everything, I praise you, I bless you, I glorify you through the eternal and heavenly High Priest, Jesus Christ, your beloved Son. Through him, who is with you and the Holy Spirit, may glory be given to you, now and in the ages to come. Amen.” (Martyrium Polycarpi 14,2-3 PG 5,1040; SCh 10,228).

No comments: