Thursday, April 22, 2010

Num 12, 3; 7-8 Throughout my house he bears my trust

Numbers 12 (chosen pages)

(Num 12, 3; 7-8) Throughout my house he bears my trust

[3] Now, Moses himself was by far the meekest man on the face of the earth. - [7] Not so with my servant Moses! Throughout my house he bears my trust: [8] face to face I speak to him, plainly and not in riddles. The presence of the LORD he beholds. Why, then, did you not fear to speak against my servant Moses?"

(CCC 2576) "Thus the Lord used to speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend" (Ex 33:11). Moses' prayer is characteristic of contemplative prayer by which God's servant remains faithful to his mission. Moses converses with God often and at length, climbing the mountain to hear and entreat him and coming down to the people to repeat the words of his God for their guidance. Moses "is entrusted with all my house. With him I speak face to face, clearly, not in riddles," for "Moses was very humble, more so than anyone else on the face of the earth" (Num 12:3,7-8).

No comments: