Sunday, August 8, 2010

Tob 1, 16-18 I also buried anyone

Tobit (chosen pages)

(Tob 1, 16-18) I also buried anyone

[16] During Shalmaneser's reign I performed many charitable works for my kinsmen and my people. [17] I would give my bread to the hungry and my clothing to the naked. If I saw one of my people who had died and been thrown outside the walls of Nineveh, I would bury him. [18] I also buried anyone whom Sennacherib slew when he returned as a fugitive from Judea during the days of judgment decreed against him by the heavenly King because of the blasphemies he had uttered. In his rage he killed many Israelites, but I used to take their bodies by stealth and bury them; so when Sennacherib looked for them, he could not find them.

(CCC 2300) The bodies of the dead must be treated with respect and charity, in faith and hope of the Resurrection. The burial of the dead is a corporal work of mercy (Cf. Tob 1:16-18); it honors the children of God, who are temples of the Holy Spirit.

No comments: