Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tob 3, 11-16 The prayer of the two suppliants was heard

(Tob 3, 11-16) The prayer of the two suppliants was heard

[11] At that time, then, she spread out her hands, and facing the window, poured out this prayer: "Blessed are you, O Lord, merciful God! Forever blessed and honored is your holy name; may all your works forever bless you. [12] And now, O Lord, to you I turn my face and raise my eyes. [13] Bid me to depart from the earth, never again to hear such insults. [14] "You know, O Master, that I am innocent of any impure act with a man, [15] And that I have never defiled my own name or my father's name in the land of my exile. "I am my father's only daughter, and he has no other child to make his heir, Nor does he have a close kinsman or other relative whom I might bide my time to marry. I have already lost seven husbands; why then should I live any longer? But if it please you, Lord, not to slay me, look favorably upon me and have pity on me; never again let me hear these insults!" [16] At that very time, the prayer of these two suppliants was heard in the glorious presence of Almighty God.

(CCC 2585) From the time of David to the coming of the Messiah texts appearing in these sacred books show a deepening in prayer for oneself and in prayer for others (Ezra 9:6-15; Neh 1:4-11; Jon 2:3-10; Tob 3:11-16; Jdt 9:2-14). Thus the psalms were gradually collected into the five books of the Psalter (or "Praises"), the masterwork of prayer in the Old Testament.

No comments: