Friday, October 15, 2010

Ps 39, 9.12 From all my sins deliver me

(Ps 39, 9.12) From all my sins deliver me

[9] From all my sins deliver me; let me not be the taunt of fools. [12] You rebuke our guilt and chasten us; you dissolve all we prize like a cobweb. All mortals are but a breath.

(CCC 1488) To the eyes of faith no evil is graver than sin and nothing has worse consequences for sinners themselves, for the Church, and for the whole world. (CCC 1489) To return to communion with God after having lost it through sin is a process born of the grace of God who is rich in mercy and solicitous for the salvation of men. One must ask for this precious gift for oneself and for others. (CCC 1490) The movement of return to God, called conversion and repentance, entails sorrow for and abhorrence of sins committed, and the firm purpose of sinning no more in the future. Conversion touches the past and the future and is nourished by hope in God's mercy. (CCC 1492) Repentance (also called contrition) must be inspired by motives that arise from faith. If repentance arises from love of charity for God, it is called "perfect" contrition; if it is founded on other motives, it is called "imperfect."

No comments: