Sunday, December 19, 2010

Prov 8, 1-9 My appeal is to the children of men

(Prov 8, 1-9) My appeal is to the children of men

[1] Does not Wisdom call, and Understanding raise her voice? [2] On the top of the heights along the road, at the crossroads she takes her stand; [3] By the gates at the approaches of the city, in the entryways she cries aloud: [4] "To you, O men, I call; my appeal is to the children of men. [5] You simple ones, gain resource, you fools, gain sense. [6] "Give heed! for noble things I speak; honesty opens my lips. [7] Yes, the truth my mouth recounts, but the wickedness my lips abhor. [8] Sincere are all the words of my mouth, no one of them is wily or crooked; [9] All of them are plain to the man of intelligence, and right to those who attain knowledge.

(CCC 721) Mary, the all-holy ever-virgin Mother of God, is the masterwork of the mission of the Son and the Spirit in the fullness of time. For the first time in the plan of salvation and because his Spirit had prepared her, the Father found the dwelling place where his Son and his Spirit could dwell among men. In this sense the Church's Tradition has often read the most beautiful texts on wisdom in relation to Mary (Cf. Prov 8:1- 9:6; Sir 24). Mary is acclaimed and represented in the liturgy as the "Seat of Wisdom." In her, the "wonders of God" that the Spirit was to fulfill in Christ and the Church began to be manifested. (CCC 2465) The Old Testament attests that God is the source of all truth. His Word is truth. His Law is truth. His "faithfulness endures to all generations" (Ps 119:90; Cf. Prov 8:7; 2 Sam 7:28; Ps 119:142; Lk 1:50). Since God is "true," the members of his people are called to live in the truth (Rom 3:4; cf. Ps 119:30).

No comments: