Monday, December 20, 2010

Prov 8, 22-31 I was poured forth before the earth

(Prov 8, 22-31) I was poured forth before the earth

[22] "The LORD begot me, the first-born of his ways, the forerunner of his prodigies of long ago; [23] From of old I was poured forth, at the first, before the earth. [24] When there were no depths I was brought forth, when there were no fountains or springs of water; [25] Before the mountains were settled into place, before the hills, I was brought forth; [26] While as yet the earth and the fields were not made, nor the first clods of the world. [27] "When he established the heavens I was there, when he marked out the vault over the face of the deep; [28] When he made firm the skies above, when he fixed fast the foundations of the earth; [29] When he set for the sea its limit, so that the waters should not transgress his command; [30] Then was I beside him as his craftsman, and I was his delight day by day, Playing before him all the while, [31] playing on the surface of his earth; and I found delight in the sons of men.

(CCC 288) Thus the revelation of creation is inseparable from the revelation and forging of the covenant of the one God with his People. Creation is revealed as the first step towards this covenant, the first and universal witness to God's all-powerful love (Cf. Gen 15:5; Jer 33:19-26). And so, the truth of creation is also expressed with growing vigour in the message of the prophets, the prayer of the psalms and the liturgy, and in the wisdom sayings of the Chosen People (Cf. Isa 44:24; Ps 104; Prov 8:22-31).

No comments: