Monday, February 28, 2011

Isa 10, 9-11 My hand reached out to idolatrous kingdoms

(Isa 10, 9-11) My hand reached out to idolatrous kingdoms

[9] "Is not Calno like Carchemish, Or Hamath like Arpad, or Samaria like Damascus? [10] Just as my hand reached out to idolatrous kingdoms that had more images than Jerusalem and Samaria, [11] Just as I treated Samaria and her idols, shall I not do to Jerusalem and her graven images?"

(CCC 304) And so we see the Holy Spirit, the principal author of Sacred Scripture, often attributing actions to God without mentioning any secondary causes. This is not a "primitive mode of speech", but a profound way of recalling God's primacy and absolute Lordship over history and the world (Cf. Isa 10:5-15; 45:51; Dt 32:39; Sir 11:14), and so of educating his people to trust in him. The prayer of the Psalms is the great school of this trust (Cf. Pss 22; 32; 35; 103; 138; et al.).

No comments: