Monday, April 4, 2011

Isa 50, 5-10 I gave my back to those who beat me

(Isa 50, 5-10) I gave my back to those who beat me

[5] And I have not rebelled, have not turned back. [6] I gave my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who plucked my beard; My face I did not shield from buffets and spitting. [7] The Lord GOD is my help, therefore I am not disgraced; I have set my face like flint, knowing that I shall not be put to shame. [8] He is near who upholds my right; if anyone wishes to oppose me, let us appear together. Who disputes my right? Let him confront me. [9] See, the Lord GOD is my help; who will prove me wrong? Lo, they will all wear out like cloth, the moth will eat them up. [10] Who among you fears the LORD, heeds his servant's voice, And walks in darkness without any light, Trusting in the name of the LORD and relying on his God?

(CCC 713) The Messiah's characteristics are revealed above all in the "Servant songs" (Cf. Isa 42:1-9; Mt 12:18-21; Jn 1:32-34; then cf. Isa 49:1-6; Mt 3:17; Lk 2:32; finally cf. Isa 50:4-10 and Isa 52:13-53:12). These songs proclaim the meaning of Jesus' Passion and show how he will pour out the Holy Spirit to give life to the many: not as an outsider, but by embracing our "form as slave" (Phil 2:7). Taking our death upon himself, he can communicate to us his own Spirit of life.

No comments: