Sunday, April 24, 2011

Jer 3, 4-10 You who are the bridegroom of my youth

(Jer 3, 4-10) You who are the bridegroom of my youth

[4] Even now do you not call me, "My father, you who are the bridegroom of my youth"? [5] "Will he keep his wrath forever, will he hold his grudge to the end?" This is what you say; yet you do all the evil you can. [6] The LORD said to me in the days of King Josiah: See now what rebellious Israel has done! She has gone up every high mountain, and under every green tree she has played the harlot. [7] And I thought, after she has done all this she will return to me. But she did not return. Then, even though her traitor sister Judah saw [8] that for all the adulteries rebellious Israel had committed, I put her away and gave her a bill of divorce, nevertheless her traitor sister Judah was not frightened; she too went off and played the harlot. [9] Eager to sin, she polluted the land, committing adultery with stone and wood. [10] With all this, the traitor sister Judah did not return to me wholeheartedly, but insincerely, says the LORD.

(CCC 370) In no way is God in man's image. He is neither man nor woman. God is pure spirit in which there is no place for the difference between the sexes. But the respective "perfections" of man and woman reflect something of the infinite perfection of God: those of a mother and those of a father and husband (Cf. Isa 49:14-15; 66: 13; Ps 131:2-3; Hos 11:1-4; Jer 3:4-19).

No comments: